Studio and Yoga Etiquette at BYSJ
“Yoga etiquette” is really just a list of manners that make the the yoga experience the best it can be for everyone who comes into our home. Let’s establish these ground rules together. With so many people coming in to do their yoga, this good etiquette will make it more pleasant for everyone.
Come on time. Stay the whole class. Bikram Yoga is a full 90 minutes with every posture and breathing technique having importance. The beginning breathing is essential to setting you up for the entire class. BYSJ allows members into class right up to the end of first set of Pranayama breathing. After that the door is locked. Same goes for finishing class. If you check out early, you’ve cheated yourself on the full benefits that you are paying for (and working so hard for in class). Work to arrange your schedule around the 90 minutes. It may take a few classes to establish this routine but you will notice the difference in your practice and in your life when you commit to the full 90 minutes.
Scan in with your BYSJ Keytag or BYSJ app. This helps BYSJ immensely. Make this a habit before you enter the yoga room.
When entering the yoga room walk on the blue portion of the carpet when finding your spot in the room and exit using our blue border.
Place rental mats on the ballet bar in the back of the room when finished with savasana.
Place dirty towels in the bin outside the yoga room to the right when heading out of the yoga room.
Quiet in the yoga room. Establish your space and then relax. Mingle with friends outside the yoga room. This is especially important after class. Be conscious of how you roll up your mat, grab your water bottle and belongings. Be aware of the noise level you create when leaving the yoga room. Practice leaving quietly no matter what you are carrying.
Water only please. Thanks members for bringing in only clear H2O when coming in to take class. It’s the best way to preserve our beautiful flotex flooring. Thanks for staying away from red drinks! And, no glass please.
Be courteous to all your neighbors beside and behind you with placement of your mat, water and where you stand or lay down.
Respect the teacher and follow along as best as you can.
Manage yourself and sit and have water accordingly.
Refrain from using colognes but wash your yoga clothes thoroughly.
Smile at times and don’t take yourself so seriously.
Leave your expectations and your shoes at the door.
Don’t leave the yoga room until after the teacher has said “namaste”. This is such a polite gesture. Make it a habit to say “namaste” back to the teacher before you get up and go!
Shorter Showers please allowing your fellow yogis to rinse off in a timely manner and conserve water. Thank you.
Forgot your yoga items, be sure to come back within 24 hours to collect. BYSJ holds onto lost and found items for 48 hours only before delivering to our friends at Goodwill.
BYSJ New Member Information
- Class reservations recommended (especially for first time) but not required. Exceptions: Groupons MUST pre-register for their first class.
- Every class is designed for beginners.
- Please bring a mat, full-size towel, and water.
- Single Towel rental: $2; Towel Service Auto-Pay for $40 provides two towels and one mat per class.
- It is essential to drink plenty of water throughout the day to ensure proper hydration before beginning class.
- Arrive 15-20 minutes before class time to best prepare for your first class.
- We encourage you to take a look at the BYSJ New Student Pledge (link below), which provides guidance on approaching your yoga practice as well as important class etiquette tips and information.
- All students will be asked to sign a waiver form.
- Wear light, non-restrictive clothing comfortable to stretch in a room that is heated to 104 degrees.
- No perfume, no glass, or electronic devices (cell phones, watches, et cetera) in the yoga room.
- Always scan in OR sign in before class begins.
- We recommend you come at least twice a week during your month of unlimited yoga to maximize the benefits of this yoga series.
- Please speak with our front desk staff or instructors to find out about a one-time special offer for members when during your Introductory Month!
- If you have questions about Bikram Yoga, never hesitate to ask any of our staff members or certified instructors.
- Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our studio.
- Drop-ins are welcome to BYSJ at $25 per class, complimentary mat and towel included.
BYSJ Current Member Pledge
Thank you for your commitment to your yoga and Bikram Yoga San Jose!
You are a valued member and we congratulate you.
In my ever-evolving practice, I will remember to:
- Slow down. Breathe.
- Breathe in and out from the nose slowly. This calm manner relaxes the mind and body during your 90-minute meditation.
- Practice stillness ~ breathe, hold, rest.
- Listen to and follow the dialog to get the maximum benefit from the posture and keep group energy strong. Doing my own thing in class is an unnecessary distraction.
- Be quiet in the yoga room before and after class.
- Inspire my neighbor.
- Take responsibility for the physical sensations, thoughts, and emotions that I experience.
- Change negative thoughts and words to positive ~ ” will try” instead of “can’t.”
- Realize my own divine nature.
- Respect the teacher, yoga, and tradition.
- Acknowledge that small things count ~ greater awareness leads to careful thoughts and actions and circumstances that support my best interests.